Sunday, April 1, 2012

April Fool's Day

We must be getting old, Gary and me.  Neither of us thought about playing tricks on each other on April Fool's Day.

I do have a tricky problem.

I direct the chancel choir at the Seymour United Methodist Church.  We do our best to select anthems that add to the service by coinciding with the pastor's sermon.  For instance, last week we sang "Bearing His Cross" because she was speaking about Jesus's torture and his journey through Jerusalem carrying the cross he was to be crucified on.  Today was Palm Sunday so we sang "Triumphal Entry" as a call to worship, but the sermon was about the crucifixion so we had a song about that, too, "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross."  

After Easter, Pastor Rebecca is embarking on a series of sermons on controversial issues. For the most part, we can easily find anthems but two of the topics are abortion and homosexuality.  Whew!  Where do I find music for those subjects?

In fact, I came up with a song for the sermon on homosexuality. "Somebody Bigger than You and I" works with the idea of God loving us as we are, which seemed to fit with the theme for young gays and lesbians, "It Gets Better".

But abortion has us stumped. In addition, from what I can tell, the choir is split on the issue. (I'm pro-choice myself.) It finally occurred to me that our choir hasn't had a break for months.  Maybe that will be the Sunday to take one.  Gary has been talking about a trip to Illinois to work on his aunt's house.

Unless someone has a suggestion, I think that's what we'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment