Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wisconsin Election Day

Sometimes I wonder what my foreign readers think of this country's politics.  We do seem to be very silly lately. 


Today was an election day here in Wisconsin.  There were local elections, but everyone from city council members to county judges were running unopposed. That happened a few years ago, and in disgust, I threw my name in to run for city council.  Darned it I didn't win and I was stuck on the council for two years. I learned my lesson and never did that again. 


The only real reason to go down to vote was for the referendum to expand the Fox Valley Technical College.  I always vote for education, and FVTC got my vote.  


Then there was the Republican presidential primary election. In Wisconsin, the electorate can choose in which party's primary election to participate.  President Obama was on the ballot but was running unopposed in the Democratic primary, so I decided to mess with the GOP.  I asked for a Republican ballot. 


Which of the candidates would get my vote?  It wouldn't be Romney, because if he takes Wisconsin, he'll get the nomination.  From the standpoint of the Democrats, the longer the GOP candidates tear each other apart, the better it is.  From a logistics standpoint, I should have voted for Santorum, but his ideas on the role of women are so awful, I couldn't force myself to do that.  


Gingrich?  Paul?  Then I noticed that Michelle Bachmann was on the ballot.  She quit the race months ago, but her name was still there.  That was such a ludicrous choice, it was perfect.  So Bachmann got one vote in Seymour.  


One good thing was that the GOP's attack on citizens' voting rights, the voter ID bill, was declared unconstitutional by a judge who placed an injunction on the law.  It will probably go all the way to the US Supreme Court but for today, it wasn't in effect.  


After we left city hall, I had to run next door to the police department.  Our United States Supreme Court decided by the usual 5-4 margin that the police can strip search anyone they arrest for any cause.  I could theoretically get a strip search for walking a dog without a leash.


Sure enough, one police officer was there, a cute one.  Seymour does have the best looking cops around. I had to tease him.  I asked him if I were to be arrested, if he would do the strip search.   He turned a lovely shade of red. 


Political silliness has that effect on me.  It's been that kind of day.  



No comments:

Post a Comment