Friday, April 6, 2012

The Sixties

I've been working on a series of short love stories for Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

I began with "Love and Phenology" two weeks ago, loosely based on my relationship with Gary.  This week I wrote "Love and the Sixties" based on the time I lived in Chicago and met my ex-husband.  It is fiction but I certainly used some real events.  I was involved in the riots following the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. and wound up in a movie theatre with my finance, for example. There was a bed overhung with apidistra,  but it was at a friend's apartment. That's where we ate limpa bread slathered in honey. There was a bag lady, but she barely was part of the true story. I showed my first draft to the critique group on Tuesday and they thought the bag lady needed a bigger role, so I enlarged it.

That is the way I write fiction, taking bits and pieces from my own life, moving them around and adding more bits and pieces from my imagination until I have a story.

My writing partner Wade says "Love and the Sixties" is the strongest story I've written so far.  I don't know, I never really have a sense of what I've accomplished until months later.

I've decided to continue in this vein, so my next story will be "Love and the Seventies," so I am asking myself, what was I doing in that decade.  What was going on in the United States?  Where was I living?
What kind of plot can I invent using the facts I've got?

I do enjoy writing.  So many stories to tell.  I wish I had started earlier.




No comments:

Post a Comment