Saturday, March 19, 2011

Too long a day

My family took me out for a belated lunch.. No corned beef for me, I don't like it.  Neither does Jacynth, who is Irish!  Instead, each year we go to the Asian Buffet for a nice selection of Chinese cuisine.

Next, Tisha took me to St. Vincent de Paul to look for clothes for the summer tour.  I will be doing twenty five performances in a month, which doesn't leave much time for laundry.  The solution is to have thin, lightweight dresses I can hand wash and hang on a line at the campgrounds. We found two of them, to add to the two I already have.  We'll look for at least one more.

My grandson gave me two potted plants of tulips and daffodils.  Gary already gave me a lily..  They will all go into the garden when the frost is out of the ground.  Not long now, the crocuses are up.

Tonight, I drove to Algoma, on the edge of Lake Michigan to pick up Heather and Jacynth who were performing at the Catholic church.

I remembered that I hadn't been in Algoma since I was in high school. I had gone to Door County to the north and Kewaunee to the south, but had not been in the area between since the 1960's.  We were there for some kind of field trip, as I recall.  I had a new umbrella, a pretty thing I still have.  It was raining off an on but finally the sun came up.  My two chums Sue and Norma, and I decided to walk out on the breakwater.  The rocks were covered with herring gulls.  Someone suggested that we run as fast as we could, chasing the gulls into the air.  Great fun until the birds returned on a bombing mission.  The three of us huddled under my new umbrella which took direct hits.

It was a learning experience and possibly the reason I hadn't returned to that lovely little town for over four decades.

No comments:

Post a Comment