Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring, Goodbyes, and New Plans

On this first day of spring, I woke up at Sister Annie's to a rainy day.  Last night, there was no point in going back to Seymour since I would have to take Heather and Jacynth to Beaver Dam where Gloria Hayes would take over and take them to their next performance in Madison.  From there, yet another friend will take them to the Milwaukee airport to catch their plane home. 

Our original plan was to get up early to go to the Horicon Marsh to see the spring migrations, but with a downpour, the birds would be hunkering down in the reeds.  I let Heather and Jacynth sleep late.  We were all exhausted.  

So we drove in the rain and arrived exactly at noon. There was only time for quick hugs and goodbyes.  I came home alone. 

At the corner of French Road and  County Highway EE, there they were, a huge flock of tundra swans.  That is spring for me, those big white graceful visitors who are here for a week then gone. 

Now I look forward. I must find time to work on finishing up some writing projects before summer travels begin.  I must lose the five pounds I gained over the winter and lose another fifteen.  That means getting out on the newly warm days and walking three or four miles a day.  

Time to change gears.  Heather and Jacynth are gone but they left spring behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment