Thursday, March 17, 2011

A Day for Blarney

This morning I went to Shawano to pick up Heather and Jacynth, who stayed the night at the United Church of Christ pastor's house.  They did a Lenten service last night.

From there we drove to St. Brendon's Inn in Green Bay for the blessing of the shamrock by a Catholic priest, with translations to the Gaelic.  The place was crammed full of Irish and wannabe Irish with a din that equaled the noise in Beijing.  The poor ladies did their best to sing over the ruckus and later Heather played her hand held drum with the fiddle and guitar players and Jacynth danced the Irish hornpipe.  Occasionally bagpipers played.  They had it easier since a bagpipe makes far more noise than a crowd of rowdy Irish.

I'm afraid I finally escaped out to the banks of the Fox River to watch the waterfowl paddle around, mostly lesser scaup with a few mallards thrown in.

We shopped a bit for necessities this afternoon.  Now they are at a friend's house. Lois will feed them supper then I will pick them up for a St. Patrick's Day party at the library here in Seymour.  Beer will be served!

Today is my birthday.  As I often remark, St. Patrick's Day is the very best birthday because no matter where you happen to be, there's a party somewhere.  I'll have two today.

No comments:

Post a Comment