Sunday, March 13, 2011

Madison yesterday

This was the scene yesterday at Madison.  I was outside of this photo to the left and bottom, standing next to the Veterans' Museum.  I couldn't move for half an hour because of the masses of people, but the folks I was standing with were friendly and informative.

According to the Madison police there were 85,000 in the square, but that didn't include the people up and down the streets leading to the square or the people behind the capitol building who kept on circling it and chanting.  All those people and not a single arrest.  We behaved ourselves.  

I talked to teachers who have dedicated our lives to our children.  I talked to librarians who told me that interlibrary loans might be discontinued and hours shortened.  I talked to nature center personnel who told me what would be taken away from this most environmental of bills.  I talked to pipe cutters, farmers, senior citizens, college students, and veterans.  I talked and talked and heard stories of the damage this governor is doing to the citizens.

It was a remarkable day.  The first of the horrible bills may have been signed but the battle is not over.  The courts are now looking at multiple problems with it. The open sessions laws say it has to be publicized two days before (it wasn't) and that the bill has to be available to the public (it wasn't). It was a fiscal bill that would have to be approved by a quorum and the Senate didn't have one.  Plus an amendment was tacked on the Assembly version which was not then re-approved by the Senate.  Before it is law, the bill has to be published by the Secretary of State.  But his name is Douglas LaFollette and he will hold off until he has heard from the courts.  How remarkable that it could be a LaFollette that comes to the rescue!

Recall petitions have started.

This is an historic moment.  I am so glad I was there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment