Saturday, January 25, 2014

SAD and the tumor

People must be interested in my travails because there are so many hits on this blog.  I will soon have reached 50,000 hits.

Anyone who reads this blog knows I suffer every winter from Seasonal Affective Disorder which is why I usually plan a southern storytelling tour for January and February.  This year it should have been Hawaii in February but I had to cancel that when the brain tumor decreed I would not be able to drive once I got to Kauai.  Another year, perhaps.

So this week I find myself with the double whammy of tumor and SAD.  Except I am finding them much the same.  In both cases, I sleep for hours.  The only remedy seems to be sunshine and lots of it.

Today, Gary took me out for an airing.  We went to the big Fox River Mall so he could find replacement filters for our humidifiers.

I got to walking around and found myself at Payless shoes.  I bought two new pairs of sports shoes.  My old ones were wearing out in the heel areas, leaving me with very sore feet.   Now I can walk again.  I plan on going to more malls in this horrendous cold to get the exercise I need. That shouldn't cause the tumor any great problems.

Afterward, we drove around country areas.  The sun shone on the snow giving me the light I needed.

Tonight I am feeling better.   I am still sleeping a  great deal, but I am getting a few things done.  I should have my taxes done by tomorrow night.   Plus I am now back to cooking nutritional meals.  No more take outs for us. It was spaghetti and meatballs tonight.

On the 4th of February we meet with my brain doctor to review all the tests to see how we proceed on the surgery.

Today, Gary showed up in my office with an electric drill, suggesting he go in and take the tumor out. He was kidding, but it sounded good to me.  However, when I mentioned this on Facebook, our friends Brad and Merrilee suggested he had the wrong bit.  Humor continues to be part of our life.

In another month, the flowers will be blooming on the south side of my house.  One way or another, I will begin to feel better.


No comments:

Post a Comment