Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Frustrations

Usually at this time of year, I go off on tour, leaving Gary behind.  It has always been a good thing.  We need time apart a few times a year.

However, this time, I am held back by a brain tumor.  With almost no peripheral vision, I am barred from driving a car.  Gary has felt he needs to take care of me. But now I have doubts about that.  Should something go wrong, Chris is only half an hour a way, the ambulance ten.  There's  a land phone in absolutely every room plus I wander around with cell phone in hand.

I will be gone with Chris on Friday as he takes me to Milwaukee for more testing.  I hope that gives Gary some release.

Part of it is that with my brain not fully functional, Gary has taken to questioning my decisions.  I am perfectly capable of following legal matters, but Gary kept telling m to follow the attorney, even though the will he had drawn up was virtually identical to one I had drawn up years ago.  I only have one heir which makes it simple. I also had drawn up power of attorney for health issues years ago.  I know exactly when I want the feeding tubes removed and so on.

Then there was the question of a mortgage for money Gary lent me.  I worked as an escrow officer in Chicago and clearly know about promissory notes and mortgages.  There was nothing Gary could explain to me.  He was frustrated throughout our visit with the attorney yesterday.

Then today I insisted on going to the bank to deposit some money to cover the checks I wrote out yesterday for filing fees. It took longer than Gary would like.  And so it went, even to the grocery store where he wondered why I needed eggs and milk.  Well, I have cooking plans.

He has to get over the notion that having a tumor hasn't completely removed my brain.

But I know our real problem is way too much togetherness.  

Gary has been a prince about taking care of me, but now he needs a break.

In another week or so, all this will be over and we can move on with our usual lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment