Friday, January 24, 2014

NIH

Chris came to get me early for a drive to Froedert Hospital in Milwaukee where I would take what should be the final test before we decide how to proceed on the brain tumor.  

The drive south and the day at the hospital was an opportunity for me to connect with my son and find out how things were going with his job.   As it turned out, the AMR test was delayed and we couldn't get in earlier even though more snow was about to hit Milwaukee.  I'd assumed everyone would want to leave early but that was not to be. 

I spent hours with the technicians and enjoyed it.  Ever curious, I had so many questions about the testing, especially when I found out that the National Institute of Health is involved.  The technicians were doing experiments which should help in diagnosing and treating brain tumors.  I would be doing verbal and visual testing that hasn't been done before.  

The advantage for me is that I won't have to pay for some of the newer testing plus plus I am actually receiving an hourly stipend for it.  And of course, I like the idea of helping others, too.

I was in the machine for hours, asked questions that most of the time I only had to answer in my mind.  They wanted to see the actual information coursing through my brain cells, I guess. 

At the same time, Chris was working at work issues, using the wi fi in the hospital. 

For some time, I was gazing up at photos at what could only be scenes from the Pacific Crest Trail while I listened to classical music.  My choice was Beethoven and it seemed the selections were mostly from the Ken Burns documentary on Frank Lloyd Wright.  This was so soothing, I am now wondering if Burns ever released a sound track.   At the same time, the machine was vibrating and massaging my back.  I came away with a full appreciation of science!

So somewhere in Washington, DC the NIH will have the photos of the brain of one Colleen Sutherland.

I wish I could see it.





No comments:

Post a Comment