Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Proofs

I'm on the twelfth chapter of the proof copy of The Glen Valley Compact.  I'm amazed at how many typos there are. I always think I am so careful yet those little errors keep popping up.  It was the big things that were driving me crazy.  My heroine found a cell phone in Chapter 12 which she picked up and put in her purse in Chapter 10.  Obviously, I had switched the two passages.

Names are always a problem.  The name of the murder victim was Bastien,  yet I spelled it three different way in the proof.  I had to straighten that out.  The problems go on and on.

After World II, General Dwight David Eisenhower wrote a memoir about the campaign in Europe. Eisenhower hated typos so when he received his proof copies he gave them to friends to read and asked them to read them.  Each one read the book and marked each problem. When one finished a proof copy, Eisenhower handed it off to another. Finally, he was satisfied the book was perfect.

The book came out. There was a typo on the very first page.

Today I got my first ten copies of Black Coffee Fiction, Now with 33% More Caffeine, which contains short stories by Wade Peterson, Bettyann Moore and me.  We all proofed that book.  We are all literate people who know errors when we see them.  Betty edited two magazines so is an expert.

When I got the book I opened it at random and there it was:  an error.

So though I check over The Glen Valley Compact over and over, I probably will not wind up with errors.

Tomorrow, I will send to be published.  I will have one more chance to go through the on screen version before it goes to print.   And it still will not be perfect.  

No comments:

Post a Comment