Thursday, November 14, 2013

More Frustrations

Every time I tried to publish The Glen Valley Compact, not only did the upload fail, it seemed to do weird things to my original document.

This morning, I finally figured out the header with my name and the name of the book (that's the part on the top of each page) was causing the problem.  I managed to get rid of both header and footer and once again, did the page numbers manually.  Because of the difference in spacing, each page had to be re-done.

After another morning of work, I tried uploading again and once again, the whole thing was wrong again with pages appearing not in the bottom of the pages, but sometimes on the top, sometimes in the middle of the pages.

AAARRRRGGGHHHH!

I took a breather and went down to the library to pick up a book.  Colette was there and suggested another way of going at it, by creating a new file.  I tried.  That didn't work either. The problem continued to be the page numbers. I thought about going without page numbers but that would annoy any reader I know.

I wanted to get that book together so I could have copies before I leave for Illinois in a week, but that can't happen, so I am putting the paperback on hold.

Instead, I am going ahead with the e-book.  Tonight I made a copy of the paperback file.  In the new copy I removed all page numbers because e-books don't work that way.  Number removal took about an hour. Working through the e-book publication will probably take through the weekend.  My grandson says I am woefully ignorant when it comes to computers and he is right.

That is why, when I work through this e-book, I will do two more right away.  I've done e-books before but every time it's been months before I do another.  It's a steep learning curve for someone like me each and every time.  It will be easier to do one right after another.  So it will be done in this order:

The Glen Valley Compact
Decades of Love and Other Disasters (re-doing this one)
Incredibly Depressing Christmas Stories.  

When those are done, I'll go back and attack the Glen Valley Compact paperback.  

No comments:

Post a Comment