Saturday, November 9, 2013

Happy Birthday,Gary!

Gary had a birthday today.  I gave him blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup topped with whipped cream for breakfast.  I forgot the maraschino cherry on the top but still, it was a good start to his natal day.  I filled the house with birthday banners.  Beforehand, I let all his Facebook friends know about his special day and he was deluged with greetings all day.

I told him to do whatever he wanted to do for the day.  It turned out what he really, truly wanted to do was winterize the house by putting shrink wrap on the windows.  Go figure.

We stopped in to see Chris, Tisha and Evan to pick up some gadget Chris was repairing for Gary. It's nice I have a son who knows how to fix electronics.

We met Gary's sister and her boyfriend, his niece and her husband, and his nephew at an Appleton restaurant for more celebrating.  Gary had his favorite meal, liver and onions. Not my idea of a birthday feast but hey, it was his day and he could celebrate however he wanted.

And now it is over.  It was important that this birthday was celebrated properly.  It is his 70th. I will follow in March with my own 70th birthday. No longer can we claim to be middle aged.

Most years, I've never had a sense of all that time passing. I tell people I am 69 but it is usually because I am trying to understand and fully appreciate my advanced years. Yet both of us feel so good most of the time, 70 is only a number.

We shall see what the future brings for two folks like us. An 80th birthday, we hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment