Saturday, November 2, 2013

Ghosts

When I travel in the southern states, I hear the best ghost tales, scary ones that make chills go up my spine, stories aimed at adult audiences.  

Here in Wisconsin, the assumption is that storytelling is only for children, so I never get to let go and tell the tales of horror that would give the tots nightmares.  Yet adults always want to hire me for those kid's parties. 
That is so frustrating to me. 

Tonight, I was hired for an adult Halloween party about an hour away from here, in Sherwood. The guests were dressed in costumes, but nothing that detracted from my work.  I told two stories, one I heard in Georgia about a mountain lion, and another from Kentucky about a father murdering the mother of his children. They are the kind of stories that rattle around brains long after the night is over. 

I held my audience mesmerized. Not a whisper, or a cough disturbed my story weaving. 

Afterwards, everyone thanked me, but I thanked them for an opportunity to have a good audience of adults who loved to be frightened.

***

This morning, I finished the book design, uploaded the finished interior and finally hit the "Submit" button at Create Space.  The Glen Valley Compact is being reviewed now.  I hope to have the proof copy in hand about a week from now. 


No comments:

Post a Comment