Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Expertise

It rained all day here in Seymour.  Not optimum Halloween weather but I'm an expert at holidays.The trick is not to get started too early, no matter what the stores are selling no matter what's being advertised.

I decorate but don't go overboard.  I happen to have a nice collection of electric pumpkins. They serve as easy decoration, but they are also useful when I am doing ghost story. They set up a stage beautifully. They are on a timer and go on about dark.

If I'm working on Halloween, I have to be ready for trick or treaters  between the hours of 4:00 and  6:00 pm.  I checked back to see how many munchkins stopped by last year.  I keep a record on the calendar. There were sixty in 2012 and that was in cold but clear weather. With the rain, I figured there certainly would be no more that this year.

I always wait until past noon on Halloween because the candy is on sale, usually half price. I knew that ShopKo had my favorite fall candy, caramel apple pops, a delicious treat that won't be stocked again for another year. Sure enough, they were on sale. The bag promised 15 in each bag so I bought four.

At 4:00 pm I turned on the porch light. No porch light and the children are not supposed to knock on the door. Most of the kids came with their parents, who were holding umbrellas. The families got soaked anyhow. The rain came with wind.  The arrivals were sporadic, usually two or three children at a time. As it got darker, the tots gave up, leaving the ground to teenagers, who were really too old for trick or treating.

At 5:45, I was down to three caramel apples pops.  I looked down the street and saw about a dozen teenagers in a bunch heading my way.  Three treats, twelve teenagers.

The answer was simple, I turned off the porch light, unplugged my pumpkin lights, and left the house in darkness save for this office which is at the back of the house.  I sat here with only the computer for light, sucking on my once a year caramel apple pops.

I had to finish them before Gary came home from his Thursday night meeting. I am an expert, after all.


No comments:

Post a Comment