Saturday, March 30, 2013

Rainy Day

It rained here in Northeast Wisconsin today. I worked at my desk, took a nap, and colored Easter eggs.

Then feeling restless, I got my car and drove back to the Shiocton marsh on Van Patten Road to see what was going on.

The sparrows, crows, wild turkeys, northern harriers and red tailed hawks have been in the marshes all winter but now there were new arrivals. There were, of course, Canada geese. Just a smattering so far, but in another week there will be gazillions, which means far too many too count.

Killdeer scurried along beside the road.  The red-winged blackbirds were working at the gravel along the ditch. A big flock of mallards had just settled in.  As I drove, I had been following them to their landing place.  And of course, there were sandhill cranes everywhere.

Give it a week and there will be swans and more migratory birds.  The first is usually the hooded merganser. When the hoodies show up, the season has really started.

Next week, I'll be in Illinois probably meeting some of my friends heading north.  That's why I'm only staying three days and coming back. I hate to miss a minute of the spring eruption here at home.




No comments:

Post a Comment