Friday, March 29, 2013

The Book Arrived!

First thing his morning, I set to work to finish this week's short story for our Black Coffee Fiction blog.  I had a very rough draft, but the rest had to be done and ready for review by noon.  In fact, writing the story only took 45 minutes. Most of the work on any of my stories comes during long, long walks. Friends driving by may beep their horns but I can't hear them. I am in the middle of thinking through the action, the description, the denouement. 

I did all that work on Thursday, so the actual writing was easy.  

The fun part was the murders.  As gruesome as it sounds, I love killing people in these stories. I think it is why I am such a peaceable person otherwise. Any aggravation, any irritation, any anger is washed away in the act of writing. 

You can read "A Beautiful Day" at Black Coffee Fiction.  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

When the story was done, I went to check the mailbox. There it was, something I never expected to see until April 2:  the proof copy of my short story collection, Decades of Love and Other Disasters.  I am giving myself five days to proof the book.  At first glance, I've spotted some minor errors, but I will go through it really carefully before I send it for final publication.  I am sure to find more typos.  They are always there. The one worry I had was the cover photo and that turned out fine.  

In the past six months, I've had three books published, one with Wade. 


In a couple of weeks, I'll have four books on the shelves of the Muehl Public Library here in Seymour, including a childen's book published in 1992.

In September, Bettyann Moore, Wade Peterson and I intend to publish another Black Coffee Fiction collection.  I want to have another novel ready to go by the end of the year with another short story collection to follow soon after.

This means another book signing at Sissy's on April 27.


No comments:

Post a Comment