Wednesday, March 27, 2013

What Makes Spring

I have a friend who keeps insisting it isn't spring, it's still too cold.  But temperature isn't what makes it spring.
The date of course, makes it spring.  We've just passed equinox.  But there are other things that do the trick for me.

Spring is migratory birds gradually passing through. Sandhill cranes, robins, red winged blackbirds, swans.  Each flock in its turn and I am waiting for them. These days I keep binoculars in my car to check out the new arrivals. When I walk I am looking up to the sky.  I listen for the call of the white throated sparrow.

Spring is the arrival of flowers. Today the first snowdrop bloomed through the snow in my yard.  Crocus shoots are showing everywhere.  On the west side of the house the tulip shoots are up.  East of the public library hundreds of snowdrops are blooming.  I walk over there every afternoon to see if anything else is blooming.

Spring is the packets of okra and roma tomato seeds I found this week. Now I have everything to start plants in the dining room windows.

Spring is finally being able to get out and walk.  February was terrible with icy streets and sidewalks and daytime temperatures just above zero. During that month the best I could do was four miles a week.  Now I am walking three miles a day.

Spring is greeting neighbors I haven't seen since the snows set in in late November.  We catch up on gossip and know that for this season we'll see each other to chat over the fences. The barbecue grills are coming out of storage.  Today I could smell hamburger somewhere down the street.

Spring is so much more than a temperature.  Hot weather will come soon enough.






No comments:

Post a Comment