Thursday, March 28, 2013

Slow Thaw

The thaw continues.  As the snow receded, I got out a rake for the first time since November and started clearing beds.  I found these snowdrops under the leaves. 


It's only one small bunch of snowdrops, nothing like the hundreds behind  the Muehl Public Library, but they are my snowdrops, and I am so happy to see them.

The first crocuses should have been in bloom, too, but the bunnies got at them.  In a day or two there will be hundreds of crocuses and from then on the bunnies can't destroy all of them.

Next to the dining room, I found a single vinca blossom, not fully opened.  When it does, I will have essentially the same setting I want for my book cover. Tomorrow I'll take a photo with higher resolution in case the one I submitted doesn't work out.

Flocks of geese are beginning to pass over Seymour. I want to join them on their trip to the north, but it is still too soon.  We got an e-mail message from the Department of Natural Resources that the sturgeon are not ready to run.  We won't be guarding on the 13th of April, they've moved back our date to April 21.  Nothing happens until the ladies want it to. They don't like cold water for spawning. No matter, when they are ready, Gary and I will be there.








No comments:

Post a Comment