Sunday, February 10, 2013

Ice Storms and Baby Showers

Today, with the threat of ice storms hanging over northeast Wisconsin, I managed the drive into Appleton for a baby shower . Getting to the party and back was a matter of getting there and getting home before the rain turned to ice.

By the time I reached the home of the next generation of Sutherlands, it was raining full tilt. There, I waited in my car, while Chris, Tisha and Evan came from a first communion for Tisha's goddaughter.  They arrived home ten minutes after I did.  Tisha loaded presents into the back of their SUV while I joined Evan in the back seat.  Because of the weather, Chris would drive us to the gathering.

While I was down South, Tisha had been shopping.  She had The Velveteen Rabbit, a stuffed bunny, more books, diapers, sheets, plus a case of baby wipes from a Kimberly Clark product auction.  She and Chris work at KC.  

It was an interesting baby shower because it was for Tim, the father to be.  He is gay and the baby "carrier" is a surrogate mother. One friend donated the egg and another friend is carrying the baby, to be born in a mere three weeks.  Once Baby Girl Meier is born, Tim will be a single parents, but a parent with the best support system anyone could have, with family and friends pitching in.

We were half an hour late because of the communion, so when Tisha and I came in everyone was seated at tables eating, and there was no place for us to sit. A new table was set up, but there we were, just the two of us.  So much for my fear of making polite conversation, though I was taken to meet Tim's aunt who likes the snarky comments I make on Facebook. I have a fan base.

Eventually a couple joined us on the table and we chatted about Fox Valley Technical College, where I first met Tim, as a student in his short story class.

There was only one game and that was baby shower bingo. We filled the squares with our guesses about what the baby gifts would be then checked our correct choices off as Tim opened the presents.  I filled out the card and forgot about it until Tisha noticed I had won a prize. "Bingo!" I called and then noticed Tisha had won a prize, too.  I gave mine to the other couple in the table who had arrived too late to participate. It was hand sanitizer and I already had enough of that around the house. Gary is a sanitizing nut.

Last fall, Tisha and I took Tim around Seymour's citywide rummage sale. He was talking about how much he would have to buy for this baby.  "How many showers have you been to over the years?"  He said he had been buying gifts for wedding and baby showers for years without much in return.  "Then they owe you big time," I said.

He made a big haul today.

After Chris picked us up and took us to their house, I didn't tarry.  The rain was still pelting us and the temperature was 33 degrees, just above freezing.  I managed to get home in time.





No comments:

Post a Comment