Thursday, February 14, 2013

Half Past February

To some it is Valentine's Day, but to me it is half past February, only fourteen more days until March.

After yesterday's sun, we here in Seymour got a snowstorm. I stayed inside for the morning but when the snow stopped, I went out to shovel. I cleared sidewalk, driveway and porch and even went after the ice underneath. It was good exercise that tired me out so I took a nap.  When I woke up it was snowing again.

I did the best I could with the day.  I hit some web sites to publicize my books. I set up the new Nook Chris and Tisha gave me.  I made a batch of soup.  I finished putting away gear from the Mississippi tour.

Then I checked the pots on the window sill in the living room. There it was, in all it's glory.

I bought daffodil and tulip bulbs at the very end of the season for 99 cents a bag.  I put them in the refrigerator in a brown paper bag.  On New Year's Day I planted three bulbs in a pot I rescued from the garden.  Every three days I planted another pot until I ran out of bulbs.  Today the first daffodil bloomed.  Beside it is another bud I expect to open by tomorrow. I estimate the last of the bulbs will flower around April 1st.

Now when I look at that window I won't see the snow in the front yard.  I'll see spring.  It's only 35 days away.

****
Yesterday's Secrets, Tomorrow's Promise available on Amazon.com and Saturday at a book signing at Sissy's Treats and Treasures in Seymour at 2:00 pm


No comments:

Post a Comment