Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cold

The temperatures continue to drop.

Today, I dressed in my finest purple jumper over a lavender turtleneck to meet Susan at Sissy's Treats and Treasures to sign books.  It was frigid in the store and I immediately regretted wearing nylons and strappy little black shoes.  My feet were cold.  Susan took her winter coat off and immediately put it back on. We shivered through two hours.  It wasn't the fault of the owners at Sissy's.  Their furnace simply could not keep up with the cold outside.

A handful people including friends Darlene and Colette came in but it wasn't a busy session. Susan sold two books, I sold five.  For the time being we are abandoning book signing, at least until the weather warms up.

I came home to a cold house. I added a space heater here in the office.  I drew all the blinds and drapes in every room in the house to maintain heat as best I can.  Tonight, I'll wear long underwear to bed.

But I have some hope, so I planted herb seeds in trays.  It won't always be cold.  Basil, cilantro, oregano and parsley eventually will have a place in my summer herb garden.

Gary called from Illinois to tell me there is a hanging planter on sale at Menards that would be perfect for tomato plants.  I am not sure about that because hanging plants need daily watering and I will be gone for much of July.

Still, it is lovely to think about the garden when it is so, so cold.

Thirty three days until spring.

***
Yesterday's Secrets. Tomorrow's Promises  and Black Coffee Fiction are both available at Amazon.com




No comments:

Post a Comment