Wednesday, February 13, 2013

One Fine Day

Just when I was in the throes of Seasonal Affective Disorder, a lovely day came along.  The sun was shining, the temperature was above the freezing mark.  The ice on the sidewalk melted.  I could get out and walk.  Exercise makes all the difference to those of us suffering from SAD.

I was able to walk downtown to talk to the proprietors at Sissy's.  I got groceries at Don's Quality Market.  I went to the other end of town to put up a couple of posters for the book signing on Saturday.  I talked to people.  I basked in the sunshine and skipped over the puddles left by the melting ice.

Even with wandering around outside, I had the energy to work on projects here in the house. I cleaned my office, worked on my next short story, and did the laundry.  When SAD goes, it leaves me with boundless energy until the next bout.  I even started tomato plants, using seed from 2011 and 2012.  It is too early, of course, but I can always transplant the seedlings into planters I can move in and out of the garage. Gardening is another strategy to keep me going until spring.

Tomorrow it will be back to the winter world.  We will be hit with another winter storm tonight with three to five inches on the ground.  That will be followed by days of cold, so cold I probably won't be out walking again for a while.

I hope the sunshine left in my soul will keep me going for a day or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment