Sunday, September 23, 2012

No Frost, More Soup

There was no frost here last night.  It's almost a disappointment because the tomatoes will keep on ripening and I will have to continue processing them. When will it end? 

Next comes Kansas City steak soup. 

I first had it when I was visiting a friend in Kansas City, Missouri.  I couldn't believe how good it was. Years later, I found the recipe in the Rival Crock-Pot Cookbook.  I don't have that first crockpot, I broke it a long time ago, but I saved that cookbook just for that recipe and use it in the replacement pot I got at a rummage sale. 

I don't make it more than two or three times a year because it is incredibly rich, especially when I finish it off with a dollop of sour cream.  

Here's the recipe:

3 cups water
2 small onions, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 one pound can of tomatoes (I use fresh tomatoes)
1 teaspoon pepper 
1 16 ounce package of frozen mixed vegetables  (recipe calls for 10 ounces but I like lots of veggies). 
1 pound coarsely group beef or finely diced chuck roast, browned and drained
2 to 4 tablespoons of beef base
1/2 cup butter  (and yes, I do use real butter) 
1/2 cup flour

Put all the ingredients except the butter and flour into the crockpot.  Cover and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.  One hour before serving, turn to high.  Make a roux of 1 stick melted butter and 1/2 cup flour.  Stir until smooth.  Pour into crockpot and stir. Cook on High until thickened. 

Put a dollop of sour cream on just before serving.  

Yum. 




No comments:

Post a Comment