Friday, September 28, 2012

Skies over Lake Ottawa

After waiting most of the day for the car repairs, I finally set out for Lake Ottawa.  I didn't want to get there anywhere near twilight because there would be far too many deer on the back roads. Go around a bend too fast and there would go the windshield and maybe your life.  Some 250 Americans a year are killed in deer-car collisions.

As it happened it was twilight when I started up Lake Ottawa Road.  Almost immediately a white tail darted in front of me and missed me by a hair. I slowed down to fifteen miles an hour.  I saw about fifteen deer before I made the campground.

The fall colors are at peak up here.  Gary reports that the winter critters are starting to file into the campground now where they will stay in protected quarters until next April when they will move out to the woods. The coyotes howl at night and what do you know, there still are two loons hanging around. The squirrels are more aggressive now as they fight for seeds.

The blue jays are working on establishing their territories.  Dark eyed juncos have replaced warblers. All sizes of toads are hopping around looking for some nice mud for hibernation purposes. We must watch where we step.

Gary wanted to go to a fish fry in Iron River this evening.  On the way out, we saw a red fox with his bushy tail chasing after him. And more deer.

I'll be up north until Wednesday, glorying in the autumn glory, now at its peak. In two days, this park closes so we will move south to Laura Lake.  Gary will stay there until around the 10th.

The skies are clear, the temperatures crisp.  My favorite time of year.

****
I went over to check out our Black Fiction Coffee display at Amazon.com and found two reviews already, one by friend Susan but the other by Book Geek.  I asked Wade if he knew who that was but he doesn't have a clue either.

While there, I clicked on my name and was immediately shifted to the children's book I wrote in 1992. Amazon.com notes where they can be bought and for how much.  A beat up copy is 99 cents but a brand new copy sells for $89.  Apparently it is now a collectible.  Back in 1992 I made 40 cents for each $9.99  copy sold. It's nice to know somebody is making money on the book.

We are selling copies of our Black Coffee Fiction e-book though which is gratifying.

Today Wade started out our second year with a new short story about an annoying car.  I can related to that, because I once owned a Gremlin. You can see his story at http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com  as well as a link to Amazon.com.

It's my turn next week. I think I will write another ghost story or two for Halloween.


No comments:

Post a Comment