Saturday, September 22, 2012

Frost Warning and St. John's wort

There's a frost advisory for tonight, a serious one.

So that means I went out to the garden to pick all the produce I could.  I found green beans, which I had for supper, zucchini, and okra which I will freeze.  My yard is more protected than most yet I can't be sure. I'll harvest the onions, oregano and kohlrabi tomorrow.

I brought in potted flowers and hanging house plants.  I decided I had kept the asparagus ferns three years ago and that was long enough.  They will freeze tonight most likely but the spider plants, the Boston fern and the mother's-in-law tongue are safe inside.

More upsetting than the frost are the feeling of sadness about the end of summer.  I finally pulled St. John's wort and vitamin D3 out of the medicine cabinet and took them for the first time since April. I don't expect to take many until after Christmas, then through January, February and March, but this week's cold, rainy and gray days brought in the blues.

This afternoon, I went down to Sissy's and had some chocolate cheesecake, talked some politics, and felt much, much better.

Chocolate is the cure for almost anything.








No comments:

Post a Comment