Monday, September 24, 2012

Goals

Last winter, my cousin Charles talked Sean and Chris into going on another great adventure.  They've been all over the world, but Charles said the "biggest dragon" would be the Pacific Crest Trail.  They laid their plans well.  They pored over maps, figured out what they would need at each stage from the deserts of southern California to the snows of Washington.  They shipped supplies to stops along the way.

They started at the Mexican border in mid-April and reached Canada on September 21.  Sean posted one word on Facebook:  "Done!"  

Footsore, exhausted and in feeling goofy, it took until today that they finally brought their blog up to date. 

They set a goal and they finished up what they started.  I'm proud of them. 

They have inspired me to pick up the pace on my own long distance trek.  Years ago, I began an imaginary hike around the world.  I started in Seymour, headed west and traveled through the United States until I came to the Bering Strait, crossed an imaginary ice bridge and kept going.  I hope to make Budapest, Hungary by the end of this week.  I've walked 18,541 miles so far, but if I want to finish my walk around the world before I die I have to pick up the pace.   

Goals are the things that keep me on track.  Wade and I want to finish our e-book collection of our stories tomorrow and move on to the paperback.  

I need to write another ghost story by the first Friday in October, use it at Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com then write an abbreviated version for Public Radio's three-minute short story contest.  

While I am doing that I am planning more trips, more adventures.  

Winston Churchill said, "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm."

So I keep setting goals, keep trying, never looking back. Like my cousin Charles said, there are dragons to slay. 


No comments:

Post a Comment