Saturday, September 29, 2012

Chasing Autumn


Here we are, smack dab in my favorite season.  The red squirrels are storing up seed for winter, but I am storing sunshine in my soul to get me through the hard winter.

During the summer, the Lake Ottawa campground is covered with a canopy of green.  This is wonderful on the hot days of July and August when all we want is shade, but on rainy days it was too much of a good thing. We craved sunshine.

In the past few days we suddenly realized that the days were exceptionally sunny.  The leaves turned to gold, orange and red and fell down.  Now is the time that we hear the crunch, crunch, crunch as we wade through fallen leaves. The branches of the maples are showing themselves. Summer is surely over this far north.


But though the groundskeepers no longer will mow, though Anita, our beloved camp host packed up left today, and the toilets are scheduled  for closing on Monday, I still have autumn ahead of me.

Tomorrow the Lake Ottawa campground officially closes until next May, so we move the trailer south to Wisconsin and Laura Lake where we can expect another week of fall color.  Gary will likely stay there until October 15 when that campground closes.

As for me, I have to return to Seymour on Wednesday to do some garden clearing, writing, and editing a paper edition of our short story collection.  By October 9, autumn will have come and gone in Seymour, but no matter, I will be starting my central Illinois tour where the trees will just begin turning.

I am chasing autumn. The longer it lasts, the better.

***********

Don't forget that Wade Peterson and I have our short story collection on an e-book at Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Coffee-Fiction-ebook/dp/B009GKEYHK/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348624600&sr=1-3&keywords=Black+Coffee+Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment