Monday, January 27, 2014

The Difference of a Day

Throughout this brain tumor saga,I've worried about how we were going to pay for the treatment. I certainly didn't want to wreck the financial future of my family.

Earlier in the week, I was trying to talk to someone about Medicaid but was told someone would call me to talk about aid for children living with me and food stamps.   Since Chris is 39 and not living at home, that was foolish.  Anyone reading this blog realizes food stamps would be a waste of time.  My monthly food budget is $75 a month.  I am very, very good at finding food bargains and turning them into nutritious meals. No, what I really needed was help with getting through this surgery.

What we forget is that in the middle of government bureaucracy there are good people who really want to help.  This afternoon I connected with Sheena in Madison.  She followed my problems with a deep and sincere sympathy and told me what I could do and told me the documentation I would need.  When I explained my constant state of befuddlement (I DO have a tumor after all!), Sheena arranged for me to be sent all the requirements by mail.  The packet will be here in three or four days.  Gary and I can go through it all then.

Then Gary talked to one of my doctors who has created a brain tumor support group.  He said that through the group, they would help me through it all.   So because there are good people in the world, including a sweet woman who proved that people working for the state  want to do their best for the people they work for.

So I went into the afternoon greatly relieved.

I took time to check the on line weather and realized that come the first of February, the temperatures here will begin to rise.   By the 4th, when we have to see our doctors to find out what all the testing revealed, the daytime temperatures will be in the double digits and the wind dying down. Not spring by a long shot, but it appears the Arctic Vortex will soon begin to lift. Along with it, it will take my Seasonal Affective Disorder, I hope.

Next, Gary did an Internet search and found a piece of property near Ashland that looks interesting. It's at the edge of a park with several lakes.  With a small pre-fabricated home, we would have a summer vacation spot. The electricity and septic system are already in place.  There's a nearby beach and miles of forest.  We could live there from May through October then com back to this area for the holidays.  Sounds perfect.   We will be going up there toward the end of February or the beginning of March to check it out.

Today, we paid the real estate taxes on this property.  For all our governor's talk about saving taxpayers money, I found he had saved me all of 9 cents for the year.  I would rather forgo those savings and  have him use pennies like that in saving lives ofWisconsinites that need help.

At the end of the day, I am in a much better mood.  Spring is coming, the forests are waiting for me to get over this tumor nonsense.






No comments:

Post a Comment