Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Cabelas

Usually, Gary spends his winters planning for our camping season.  We expect UPS and Fed Ex to mak deliveries daily of the latest gadgets.  But not this winter.   We have been preoccupied with my health and the Arctic Vortex kept us inside.

Today there was cold, yes, but sun and no blowing or drifting snow to stop us.  We took a drive to the new Cabelas store in DePere.  

I can't get very impressed with big name outfitter places but I could walk around and around and get some much needed exercise.

I stopped to talk to a fellow who was showing Cabelas camping loungers.  I told him I liked the one we had, but we never got it in a store.   Gary rescued it from a national forest dumpster.  People buy these expensive chairs and sit on them for hours next to their campfires eating and drinking beer.  The pounds accumulate and the chairs collapse and wind up in the dumpsters.  Usually it takes only minor repairs to get them working again. Gary stopped at a hardware store, found the proper screws for pennies and we had a Cabelas lounger.

Cabelas sells guns with the support of the National Rifle Association. Again, I talked to one of the workers.  You could buy one,she told me.  "I don't know about that," I said. "I write bloody mysteries and I currently have a brain tumor that is making me cranky."

"As long as you don't have a criminal record," you can buy one," she told me.

"So if I am a good murderer who has never been caught," I said, "I'm good to go."

Of course I never did buy a gun but I got the clerk interested in my mystery and by now she is reading it.

But I shake my head at how easy it is to buy guns in the United States.

So  I got out of the house and got some exercise. Gary found a pair of binoculars and  got to talking to a lot of people about camping.

I guess that makes for a good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment