Saturday, December 21, 2013

Spring Countdown

It was three years ago that I started doing a spring countdown for my friends on Facebook.  I began on the winter solstice.  Every day I posted the days until spring and the length of the day.

I began again this shortest day of the year.  Here  in Seymour, December 21 was 8 hours 49 minutes and 31 seconds long.  That means when I woke up at 6:00 the sky was dark.  The sunrise was at 7:20 a.m. By 4:15 the skies darkened again.

Not much will be different tomorrow. It will be 89 days to the equinox and all that will be added is 2 seconds.  We have a long way to go to get up to reach that blesses 12 hour day.

To make the countdown more interesting, I am going to post a song that reminds me of summer.  Today's was "The Southern Cross" by Crosby, Stills and Nash.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw9gLjEGJrw
It reminds me of sitting beside a campfire at a sheep station near Canberra, in Australia and days on boats in southern climates.

I am looking for more songs that speak of summer.  I would appreciate any suggestions.

Meanwhile, we have to survive these dark days.


--
Don't forget to check out our short stories at Black Coffee Fiction. They're a way to while away the winter. http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment