Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Cards

I re-evaluated the days to the spring equinox. It varies by location. I've decided to declare it March 20, though a 12 hour day will occur three days earlier here in Seymour.  So I am now saying spring is 87 days away.  Today I am thinking of Buffy Ste Marie's song, "Still This Love Goes On" which makes me think of the hot days of the Oneida powwow at the beginning of July.  Drums will be beating, songs will be sung, jingle dancers will be jingling, and Gary and I will be pigging out on fry bread.  You can hear the song at this link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pZyJCdH_u8

---

Today, I was writing out Christmas cards, something I theoretically finished at Thanksgiving. But each year the same thing happens.  Just two or three days before Christmas cards begin arriving from people I didn't send a card to.

I keep a Christmas card list of cards sent and received. They come to my mailbox, I check off the names. If I haven't received a card from someone after two years, the name is crossed off for the next year. After all, postage is expensive.  But those are the people that suddenly send me a card ... late.  They are often accompanied by long letters that I know I will have to respond to by New Year's Day.

One year an irate friend sent me such a letter and said she had not gotten one from me.  I replied that she hadn't send me one in five years.  Oh, she said.

Well, it is fun to get these cards anyhow, thirty so far.  I guess I will have a few days before 2014 to answer the letters.  It is good to know friends are still out there in the world.






No comments:

Post a Comment