Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Snickerdoodles and Cookbooks

A few nights ago, I dreamed of snickerdoodles, those wonderful buttery cookies.  When I woke up I thought I was safe from the calories because I probably didn't have the right ingredients.  I was wrong. I had everything in the house.

The next step was to avoid baking.  Gary and I are trying to lose weight. According to the internet calorie counting sites, one snickerdoodle has 140 calories.

I held off as long as possible, but we've had so many cold nights and I convinced myself baking would keep the house warmer.  Tonight some friends called to say they were coming over.  It was as good an excuse as any and I flew into action.  I sent cookies home with Susan and Bob but Gary and I ate three this evening each. I still had three dozen left. I knew what I had to do. Into the freezer they went.  I hope they stay there.

The recipe came from the Betty Crocker New Good and Easy Cook Book.  New?  Well maybe in 1967 when I bought it.  I was living in Chicago at the time. The book plate I placed in it says "Colleen Doersch."  I was single then.  Within a few years I added The New Settlement Cookbook and the Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery, a 12 volume set. Those books were the best investment I ever made.

Unfortunately, after almost 50 years, they are all getting worn out.  The Betty Crocker covers came off. The spine of the New Settlement book  is gone.  The covers of the 12 volume set are dirty from years of sitting on messy kitchen counters but it is the inside of those books are really messy. I can scarcely make out my favorite recipe for banana nut bread in Volume 2.

Tonight I searched the Internet, that fount of anything anyone would want to know about and found out that all the books can be purchased on line.

Yet replacing the books seems like abandoning old friends.  I wonder if I will.

--
For more on cookies check out Wade Peterson's story at Black Coffee Fiction
http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com/2013/12/pick-your-poison.html
  

No comments:

Post a Comment