Monday, December 16, 2013

Winter Nights

In 2013, I was the evil weather goddess. Whenever I wanted to do anything the weather turned bad.  In February, I went South and found horrendous storms, including one tornado that wiped out the campground I meant to go to.  In March, April and May the sturgeon spawned then stopped when the weather turned cold, then started and stopped again. We never got to guard along the banks of the Wolf River.

Because of snow the campgrounds did not open at the beginning of May.  It was almost June before we got started and then it rained for most of the month.

I went around Lake Superior on a storytelling tour in July.  Canada had rain, extreme heat, or chills. On the only two pleasant days, the little black flies came out.

Then came July, August and September in the national forests with more rain and cold. Far too often we were inside the camper instead of hiking in the woods. So the year has gone. Whenever we wanted to do anything, the weather intervened.

This morning the temperature in Seymour was -8 degrees F. (-13 C.)  We've had days of snow, ice and freezing temperatures. I cannot get out to walk so we make do with the fitness center.

Tonight we are home as the temperature plummets again.  Once inside the house, let the winds howl, let the snow fall.  Mathom House is well insulated.  We stay warm.

Our meals reflect the weather.  Tonight we had spaghetti and meat balls, the perfect comfort food.  Later, we'll follow that with hot apple pie.  We'll sit next to our respective Christmas trees with our laptops and e-books. I am listening to Christmas music on the stereo. Gary is playing video games. Candles flicker on all the horizontal surfaces.


We are warm and content with life. If I have to be the bad weather goddess, at least we can be comfortable.

---
Since I wrote about my Christmas tree, I am getting more ornaments from friends around the world. Today's came from Carol Ferguson in Sonora, Kentucky:  a crocheted guardian angel, like those she makes for the children's hospital.  It is a reminder that I should get back down there for a visit as soon as I can.  

No comments:

Post a Comment