Thursday, December 19, 2013

Winter Mornings

Each winter morning, I rise at 6:00 a.m. As we come to the winter solstice, that hour is dark here in Wisconsin. However, there is much to cheer me.

Gary has timers on the Christmas lights so that they all go on at 6:00 a.m. As I come down the stairs, I hear a click and the rooms are bathed in lights.  The dining room Christmas tree is the big one. In my office the poinsettia tree turns everything red.  The living room is green from Gary's father's old tree.

This morning, a surprise.  Gary managed to fix the three foot tall fiber optic tree last night and it, too now rests on a table in the living room casting rainbow shades.

I light the candles I found at summer rummage sales. There are enough of them to last until March. A lavender scent in the living room, cranberry in the dining room, vanilla here in the office.

I boil water and turn on the computer. When I sit at this desk, another light show, the almost full moon setting in the western skies.  I drink my morning tree and watch it until the sun rises in the east. By the time I eat my toast, the moon disappears.  I turn on the stereo for classical Christmas music.

That is the signal for the birds to get busy.  By 7:00 a.m. the downy woodpecker is at the suet feeder just outside my office winter.  He is followed by the hairy and red bellied woodpeckers in turn.  Soon the mourning doves, chickadees and juncos are fluttering around until the blue jays arrive about 8:00 a.m.to scare them off. Next come the cardinals. Who needs Christmas lights when the birds are putting on a show? The timer flicks off the lights when full daylight makes them unnecessary.

Now it is time for a frothy cup of cappuccino, my big winter treat. I add a snickerdoodle and set to work on Friday's story for Black Coffee Fiction.

Gary's coffee maker turns on.  Gary comes down the stairs soon after. Our day has begun.


No comments:

Post a Comment