Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Christmas Memories - 8

In the mid 1990s, something unusual happened in Seymour.  Dean's Den, a florist shop, opened on South Main Street. What was unusual were the proprietors, Marv and Norm, two openly gay men. There have been homosexuals in Seymour as long as I can remember and probably since the beginning of the town.What was different was that these men were open about their sexual proclivities. I was delighted they were here. It was a sign that Seymour was growing up, I thought. I probably was one of the first to welcome them.

I worried about their reception in the town but to my surprise, nobody bothered them. They even became popular, particularly among the townswomen. They had new and unusual designs for their floral work and a boutique of unusual items. They went off to the annual bridal show each year with their displays and found work all over the Fox River Valley.

The one I had the most to do with was Norm. He had lawn chairs in front of the shop. I often joined him there for a nice round of catty gossip. What a wicked sense of humor he had, even worse than mine.

They were here because Norm was taking care of his elderly mother who lived in Pulaski. He told me he would stay as long as she lived but in only a few years she died. The shop closed almost immediately.  It was at the closing sale that I added to the music theme on my Christmas tree with a half dozen musician ornaments.
Marv and Norm moved to California and for three years I received Christmas cards from them. Like so many people I've known, they faded out of my life.

As long as those band members march around my tree, Norm and Dean are still here in my memories. I like to think they are still alive and now married. I wish I knew.

No comments:

Post a Comment