Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Memories - 7

My mother and I were spending a day shopping for Christmas presents. We had lunch and were heading home on Mason Street when we noticed that the Ben Franklin store was having a sale. We decided to take a look. In those days before the Hobby Lobby, the Ben Franklin stores were "craft centre".  We wandered around in the store but all I found was a basket full of tiny teddy bears. They were on clearance for 10 cents each. My mother insisted on buying eight for me. I think they were supposed to be added to some craft or cleverly dressed but all I ever did was put them on the the tree.

I picked up another bear at a rummage sale, this one dressed up.
That made nine teddy bears. The years passed.  Chris married Tisha who loves teddy bears. She must have several hundred of them. Chris is afraid to go to carnivals because that would mean even more. Tisha noticed the bears on the tree and soon there was another.
It's not quite another theme but if Tisha had her way.....

Each year, those teddy bears remind me of three others.

When Chris was born, my friend Norma gave him an Italian teddy bear, nice and squishy.  I loved that bear but Chris never took to it. He was not a teddy bear type of baby.

Years later, Chris and I were walking through a department store and passed a display of white teddy bears. They were so soft.  I told Chris that I never had a teddy bear when I was little, just some kind of little stuffed toy that looked like an egg.  "Why don't you buy one?" Chris asked.

"Because a teddy bear should be given to you by someone who loves you," I said, though really, a teddy bear was out of my price range.

That Christmas, Chris gave me a teddy bear. I still love it.

And years later, I received yet another teddy bear, this time from my grandson. When I squeeze its paw, there's a recording of my grandson's voice saying, "I love you, Grandma!"


Teddy bears remind me that there is love just within my reach.



No comments:

Post a Comment