Monday, December 23, 2013

Christmas Greetings

Another five Christmas cards arrived today.  Four of them had letters.

One was from Gary's great-aunt Alice who wrote a lovely and newsy letter detailing all the activities she has been involved in.  She reported on her children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She wrote about her Bible Study group, her card group, and going to a coffee shop with her live in boyfriend. She has a busier  life than I do. She is 98 years old.

Beth in Texas wrote about Christmas trees, both the ones in her house and the trees of relatives.  I see what I started writing about my trees and ornaments.

Mary Ann has been told she can no longer live alone so has to decide what to do. For the moment she is still in her house.

For the first time, my daughter-in-law wrote a Christmas letter , a really good one.  I figured I knew everything about their year but I learned a few things about Tisha's job (I didn't know that she was learning a new role), Chris's work on his MBA, and above all, what's up with that grandson of mine. He's been getting into trouble for reading during all his subjects, even during a fire drill, went  up two levels in his swim class, and having the same problem Chris had in his music lessons by learning the music before he learns the notes.

This is what I love about Christmas cards, learning what's going on with friends and family. Those e-cards I'll be getting over the next few days have lots of interesting graphics, but I don't learn anything from them.

----

It's eighty-six days to the equinox. We've added seven seconds to the day length. We won't really notice any change until the second week in January.

Today I was listening to Jimmy Buffet. There's no one better to make me think of summer days at the edge of an ocean.  My friend Nikki will be at Key West next month and will be at Buffet's Margaritaville restaurant eating a cheeseburger.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohac8ufjFM8

---

Today I baked Christmas cookies that Evan will help me frost.  Tisha gave me the cookie dough which is sold as a fund raiser at Evan's school. The container said the dough would make 4 dozen cookies but instead I wound up with 6 dozen.  That will be some decorating tomorrow afternoon.




No comments:

Post a Comment