Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Best Christmas Ever

What sets this Christmas apart was my increasing appreciation for my amazing daughter-in-law.

Just a few things I love about her.

Every Christmas I put a candle on my parents' graves. Not a morbid thing, it is remembrance. Years ago it was a real candle but when the snow was deep and the wind strong, that no longer worked. Now it is a battery operated LED candle. This year, the cemetery was full of snow drifts. The last time I was there I took a tumble down a bank.  I told Tisha and Chris that perhaps we could skip this little ceremony.

No way!  Tisha took the candle and leaped through the snow like a gazelle. First, she picked up the wreath where it had fallen and set it in place. I may not stay up, but for this night, it stands erect. Then she cleared the snow away from the headstones.  Finally, she set the candle in its proper place.

We came back some hours later and found that little beacon still shining through the night.

Later, we talked in the tree lit living room.Tisha told me about raising my grandson. When Evan was only a year old, Tisha undertook a promise to me, to read to him every night.  They still have that routine every night, though Evan at eight does some of the reading.

One of the thing he has read three times from cover to cover is a children's Bible. This has led him to an interest in religion of all things. He has been thinking lately about whether God is male or female. So far he is on the male side in the discussion. I find having a budding theologian in the family a hoot.

Tisha is raising an interesting boy and along the way growing herself.  Isn't that the best part of raising children.

-----

There are two days I do no work whatsoever:  Christmas and my birthday.  I doubt I will write this blog tomorrow unless I have some great story to tell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment