Sunday, October 6, 2013

Autumn Sunday, This and That

Sunday morning began with an e-mail from Walgreens with a good photo offer.

My Canon camera stopped working a couple of weeks ago, but the SD card still had photos. I figured I had better get the prints made while I could.  It was a morning of looking back at 2013. The photos start with Circle Tour and progress through all the provincial parks. Then it was the national forest campgrounds we stayed at until we were forced to leave.  These photos have to go into the album along with the blog entries that describe the year. It took almost two hours to select the photos and order them.

Then the rain quit, the sun came out, and I set out to walk a couple of miles. The Packers were playing and that is the best time for a stroll. The streets were empty as the residents were glued to their television sets. It's only a game, I always say, but the people of Northeast Wisconsin have three religions:  their churches, the Packers and money, and not necessarily in that order.My only religion is nature, so I ignore them.

I stopped at the BP for a few minutes and talked to the cashier, who told me she was a Bears fan.

"And they let you live?" I asked.  I liked her style.

I watched Wendell Berry on Bill Moyer's show on Public Television this week. One of his comments caught my attention: "There's a world of pleasure in contrariness."  That has been my style all my life.  

Later, Gary and I went shopping. We picked up the photos and bought some groceries and nostrums. Then we took a drive through autumn which is gradually working its way through central Wisconsin. We wound up at Van Patten Road. Almost all the birds have migrated through. We won't see them again until the beginning of April. There was one bird left, the great white egret, wading through the waters of the swamp. We've never seen one egret there before. Usually there are dozens. It must be the last egret of summer, there just for us. 

Tonight we are figuring out what to do with the week. We have to clear the gardens, put away camping gear, and clean the house. I'll finish the story I began for Black Coffee Fiction. I want to re-do the Decades e-book which never was properly done. 

I guess that is enough for one week.   



No comments:

Post a Comment