Sunday, July 7, 2013

Mathom House

When I moved here about thirty years ago, I decided to give the house a name, a British custom.

In Tolkiens' The Hobbit, the Mathom House was a museum where hobbits collected  "mathoms", which were items that no longer had any use after they'd been passed around as gifts for generations.

Since my house was then (and continues to be today), full of useless objects often given to me by friends and family, "Mathom House" was the perfect name.  Gary made up a name plate.


The name has come in handy from time to time, whenever I needed a business name.  My books are self-published by Mathom House.  My storytelling e-mail address is mathom@juno.com

Gary decided that we should have vanity plates for our two vehicles.  His just arrived.
My plates will show up in August and will read MATHOM2

Gary's plate says Harms.  When we were camping at Laura Lake two years ago, I spotted a car with that plate holder and asked about it.  The two young people said it came from the Harms car dealership in Janesville and offered the plate holder to Gary....whose last name is Harms.  The holder cracked so when he drove past Janesville on his way to Dixon, he stopped in an requested another.  He carefully removed "Janesville" from the holder and now has his own name plate.

With everything properly labeled, I suppose we know who we are.


No comments:

Post a Comment