Saturday, July 13, 2013

Circle Tour - Day 1

After a great breakfast with Gary, I left at 8:50 a.m. He had turned on the GPS to get me to Escanaba but I turned it off before I reached the corner.  No male voice telling me what to do!  It turned out that he had installed John Cleese's voice and I should have left it on.  I love the idea of Cleese calling me a silly twit.  Now I have to figure out how to re-program it for Sault Ste Marie.

Since I was taking Highway 54 to Highway 41 which would take me to Escanaba I figured there would be no problems, I'd been on that road so many times before though not for years.  However, I found out that things have changed.  No longer does the road go through downtown Oconto or downtown Peshtigo.  There were roundabouts that took concentration.  One time I went around twice before I got my bearings. 

The car, for guys who need to know these things, is getting 34 mpg. 

At Menominee, Michigan I stopped at the CCC log cabin that serves as an entry point.  I asked for a postcard for Evan . . . surely a Michigan tourism place would have postcards. They had a set for Detroit, Michigan and that was all. With the advent of the digital camera, postcards seem to be a thing of the past.

I decided to leave Highway 41 and take the Highway 35 lake route, much more scenic and that brought me into Escanaba.  Escanaba is celebrating its 150th anniversary.  I had no idea where but figured out if I followed the drive to the downtown area I would get to something, using Zen driving. It's served me in the past and it served me this time. 

I came to the marina
 
I strolled along the marina until I heard music.  It was rock music but I thought I could find out where Skip Jones would be performing.  Someone was sure to know.  I rounded a corner and there was Skip and sure enough Judy was there, too, in a wonderful dress.  She looks every inch the superb artist she is. 
 
Judy steered me under a canopy and we chatted about books, we admired a baby, and talked about old times.

Skip talked about his new pickup and plan to sing about water any place he can.  He is so concerned about our nation's water supply and how it's being polluted.  He has been telling his audiences about me and my travels . . . how I seem to travel on nothing.
I got pulled pork on nachos for lunch at a booth and we talked and talked.


For a while I listened to Skip and his friends singing but too soon I had to hit the road.  I had to get this blog out and get on to a campsite before dark. 

So on I go, wondering what the next adventure will be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment