Friday, July 12, 2013

Final Preparations

This was the final day before the trip.

The first thing I had to do was finish "William" a short story for Black Coffee Fiction  http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com  I pulled the story from a novel I intend to publish in January 2014, so I could finish it quickly and get back to packing.

The cooking gear and clothes are in bins beside the sleeping area.  Again, I intend to sleep in the tent, but in a downpour, I can climb into the car instead.  There's even a little stool that Gary found that fits in the area directly under the pillow.
That hat, by the way, serves a purpose.  Sometimes, I come out of a national forest campground with grimy clothes. If I can't find a place to clean up and change clothes, I arrive at a library that way.  But I am wearing that hat and the librarians recognize that I am indeed, their storyteller.  I clean up in the wash room, put on makeup and a fancy dress and come out completely changed...and without the hat which I never wear during the performance.


Behind the driver's seat are the tent and the folding chair, my notebook computer and the autoharp.

The front seat is where I keep my records in a folding file holder, containing maps, books, cameras, bird books, books on CDs, my journal, and writing projects. The basket is for garbage I might accumulate.  Each time I stop somewhere, I throw out the bag inside.  On the floor is the "nostrum" container with first aid supplies, cold remedies and aspirin.  It has shampoo, soap and sunscreen.  Underneath that is a box with copies of the three books I've written, one of them with Wade.

My passport is in the glove compartment, along with extra glasses and instruction booklets for the car, the cell phone, and other electronic gear. I have CDs  for music on the road. 

Gary took the Subaru to the carwash and "mooseproofed" it he said, giving it the full treatment.  Then he filled the car with gas and set the trip meter to zero.  

All I have to do in the morning is pack the last items here on my desk and I'm ready to go after we go out for breakfast at Kary's.  



1 comment: