Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Books to Go

I'll be on tour for two weeks, driving around 1,500 miles and spending nights in campgrounds.  That requires books.

For the drive, I'm taking three books on CD:
Hunting Season, by Nevada Barr.  It's the only one of the Anna Pigeon series I've missed.  It also fulfills a requirement for the adult summer reading program.
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini.  I've already read Hosseini's The Kite Runner, so I expect I will like this one, too.
and Anne Lamott's Imperfect Birds.  I've read Lamott's non-fiction, so thought I should try one of her novels.

That's 35 hours of literature to get me through the miles and miles of driving.

For night time reading, I have my Nook, which has back lighting, so I won't need to worry about lanterns.
I have an eclectic collection of e-books:
Zadig by Voltaire
Queen Lucia, by E. F. Benson
The Round House, by Louise Erdrich
House of Earth, by Woody Guthrie
Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, An American Slave, by Frederick Douglass

One library book:  Fighting Bob LaFollette, The Righteous Reformer, by Nancy C. Unger. I did a book report on LaFollette when I was in high school.  High time I caught up on the literature about the man who was Wisconsin's great progressive Governor.

Finally, a couple of books I own that I can read on the beach since I don't have to worry about dropping them in a Great Lake:
The Language of Flowers, by Vanessa Diffenbaugh
Refuge, an Unnatural History of Family and Place, by Terry Tempest Williams (I've read it before but it bears re-reading.)

Now that I've taken care of the all important reading matter, it's time to pack the camping gear.  Gary and I will work on that tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment