Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Urgency

There's an urgency about my writing these days.

I'll be 69 on Sunday.  I come from a family that is not long-lived.  If genetics is a key, I can expect my health to decline in my 70s.  I may not live until 80.  I am not being morbid here and certainly I take good care of myself, but how long can I write?  A stroke could put an end to my scribblings.

I've spent too many years letting events lead me from one career to another.  I've been a storyteller, a musician, a teacher, a librarian, a director, an escrow officer, and so on, when all I really should have been doing was writing.  That is the direction I intended my life to go when I was in high school.

I've dreamed novels, written down ideas for plays, thought about screenplays and never got around to doing the work.  Now I feel the urgency.

In the past two years, I've written short stories for Black Coffee Fiction which is now in a book by the same name.  My novel, Yesterdays Secrets, Tomorrow's Promises, is now published.  In April, I'll have another collection of short stories.  In the fall, Wade, Betty and I will publish another Black Coffee Fiction collection. I hope to finish another novel next winter, followed by a Christmas collection soon after.

Today, I have three books on the shelf at the Muehl Public Library and hope to have seven at this time next year.  This after putting off writing for over fifty years.

People ask if I'm making any money and I truthfully can answer, I don't much care.  Those words have been stopped up inside me and are now spilling over. More than earning money, I am concerned that my books will be read.




No comments:

Post a Comment