Monday, March 11, 2013

Bugs

I was right about yesterday's precipitation forecast. We were supposed to get almost six inches of snow.  Instead it rained and sleeted.  The sidewalks were slippery this morning but by this afternoon the ice melted and I was out walking again. There are no big storms forecast for the next two weeks so it may be we are done with storms and can go right into spring.

That would be heaven, but then a box elder bug dropped on my desk right in front of me.  Yes, spring, but then come the bugs and flying insects.

The box elder bug probably is a transplant from Illinois that Gary brought here during one of his breaks. The farmhouse is full of them.  Whenever I go down there, I am preoccupied with capturing and killing them but it hardly makes a dent.  There are hundreds of them, so many he really should call an exterminator.  I am not happy to see them starting up here.

Then there are little flying gnats. I am starting my spring planting by bringing in pots from the back yard. I will be filling them with flowers from the planting trays in the dining room. It works well except that after several days the gnats begin to emerge.  I walk around the house killing them between my two hands. To the neighbors I probably look like I am learning a Spanish dance.

Worse, I found the first earwig of the year floating in the dish water. Earwigs are the worst bug of all.  I think they are coming up from the basement. Yuck.

So yes I love spring, yes I love summer, but there is no season that is perfect. The bugs are here to tell me that.



No comments:

Post a Comment