Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Turkey

A couple of months ago, Gary bought a free range turkey from an Illinois friend and sent it up here with his sister.  It resided in the freezer downstairs until today.Gary will be here over the weekend to celebrate my birthday so I decided the time was right to roast that bird.  I went down the stairs, opened the freezer and hauled the turkey out.  It took both hands and I wished I had brought along gloves it was so cold and frozen solid. 

It took all my muscles to cart it upstairs.  A 16.77 lb. turkey for two people.  What was he thinking?  I planned on putting it in a roasting pan to defrost it in the refrigerator but it was too big.  It was also too big for my big soup kettle.  It is now in the refrigerator in the vegetable bin until I can go shopping tomorrow for an aluminum pan big enough.  

While I'm in the stores I will have to get the rest of the requirements, stuffing, yams, potatoes and so on.  

I've asked Chris, Tisha and Evan to come over on Saturday to share the feast.  I figure it will take five hours to roast a bird that big so I will have to set the alarm and start cooking by 7:00 a.m. 

That is not what is making me unhappy.  It is this:  Rascal was going through the kitchen when I was shoving the turkey into the fridge.  He stopped immediately.  He knows what a turkey is.  He knows that it must be cooked.  He began to yowl.  Now he is even unhappier about his daily nosh than usual and he is never that happy about my offerings to begin with. 

When the feast is over, I'll make a pot of turkey soup and grind up most of the remaining dark meat for turkey tacos plus some homemade cat food for Rascal.  

I'm tired just thinking about it. Women should not work that hard on their birthdays. 

--------------------
I'm on the fourth story of sixteen that will be in my short story collection. They need very little editing since they were originally in the Black Coffee Fiction blog.  I find after over two years of writing these stories, I can't remember exactly what was in them.  They are better than I thought.  









No comments:

Post a Comment