Saturday, March 16, 2013

Naughty Children, All of Us

I found out that my seven-year-old grandson got into trouble in school.  A note was sent home.  It seems he had a book on his lap and was reading it when he was supposed to be paying attention to the book they were working on during his reading class.  His excuse, he had already read THAT book.

I'm afraid I didn't say too much about that because his father Chris was there.  Chris did exactly the same thing when he was that age. He, too, was an early reader.

And what about this grandmother?  I was the third girl in my family.  My older sisters always brought their school books home from the little one room school on French Road. I pounced on them. When I reached first grade myself (there was no kindergarten in those days) I already knew how to read and I was writing cursive.  When the teacher found out she was angry and told my parents they should never have taught me.
It was a big surprise to them.

I, too, used to hide books from the teachers until the fourth grade when Mrs. Koepp, an enlightened teacher, realized I had read every book in the little school. She started bringing me boxes of books from the Seymour library. By the seventh grade I was regularly excused from reading classes to do other projects.

The same thing was true all the way through high school. I had read all the textbooks before the first day of any class.  I was almost always reading something else when called on.  I got very good at watching the pages that the other students were on and flipping to the right spot, all the time reading something more interesting cleverly hidden behind other books or on my lap.

I told Gary about Evan's problem. Gary had the same problem in his school.  He said the solution was simple:  Evan has to get better at hiding the books he's reading.  He may be right.

----
Speaking of reading, don't miss Bettyann Moore's story at Black Coffee Fiction http://blackcoffeefiction.blogspot.com  "Still Life With Leprechauns  is a perfect story for St. Patrick's Day.

----

I won't be writing a blog tomorrow.  St. Patrick's Day is also my birthday so I'm taking the day off.




No comments:

Post a Comment