Thursday, March 14, 2013

Recycling Mishap

It's not always easy.

This morning I put out the recycling which mostly consists of Rascal's empty cat food cans.  There weren't a lot so I didn't use the big recycling bin. Instead I put out the kitchen waste basket, carefully putting it to one side of the driveway.

Then I went inside to get ready for my performance at the Clintonville Senior Center. I took a shower, did my makeup and put on my storytelling costume.  I packed the autoharp, some of my books, and other paraphernalia in the car.  I was in the house checking over my purse when I got a phone call about another performance.  I worked out the dates and time with the librarian. I finished up in ten minutes giving me a little less than the hour I needed to get to Clintonville.  I went back to the car, started it and backed out....right over the waste basket.  In the ten minutes I was in the house the guys in the recycling truck had come and gone, tossing the wastebasket in the middle of the driveway right behind me.

The wastebasket was jammed under the car and I couldn't pull it out.  I tried driving up a snow bank, thinking that would give me the space to loosen the it. That's didn't work.  I tried backing forward and backward.  Nothing worked.

I finally decided to drive to the nearest service station for help. The dragged wastebasket made an awful racket.  I was a few yards from the gas station when the basket let go. I went back, picked it up and threw the ruined and unrecognizable basket in the back of the car. The plastic basket will be in the next recycling day, two weeks from now.  

With a little speeding, I made it to the performance.  Tonight Gary is in Appleton for a meeting and afterwards, will pick up a new kitchen bin.


No comments:

Post a Comment