Tuesday, February 26, 2013

The Final Trip

I got a notice from the veterinarian that Rascal is due for his shots but we won't be taking him for a while. 


As I type this, Rascal is sleeping in the cat bed next to this computer. He hasn't moved in an hour.

This is how he spends his days. Sometimes he gets up, stretches, goes into another room and finds another sleeping spot. He particularly likes sleeping at the foot of my bed but that means climbing stairs so it doesn't happen as much as it used to. When he shows up in the middle of the night I know he needs to be there, so I am careful to not bump into him.

Rascal is now in his last days. I can feel his bones through his fur, which when it isn't thinning, mats up. He isn't eating all that much. He isn't cleaning himself the way he should. I've had old cats before. I see the signs.

He was born in July of 1993, which means he will be twenty years old if he makes it that far.  He'll continue sleeping and eating, but the time is coming soon when he can't make the litter box, when his bones hurt so much he can't climb steps anymore. Then he'll finally take that trip to the veterinarian.  

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking such good care of Rascal. I remember shortly after you became his mom that he did something that upset you. I don't remember what, but your boy friend said "What do you expect from a cat named Rascal?" You have done a great job of being his Mom. He out lived his half brother Pepe who was 17 1/2. Thanks again. Gail

    ReplyDelete